Allergies and Sensitivities to environmental factors and foods are becoming more and more common in our modern world.
Here are some common issues which may be caused by food sensitivities and other allergens:-
- Sinus congestion
- Post-nasal drip
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Constipation or Diarrhea
Why are we becoming more sensitive?
I believe there are quite a few reasons, but here’s some big ones:-
- We’re becoming increasingly overloaded with toxins from our environment, so there is more and more load the Liver to detox and purify the system.
- Genetically, many of us are becoming less able to detox certain natural (and unnatural) chemicals from our bodies.
- Our Microbiome (the collection of micro-organisms which live largely in our digestive tract) is becoming more compromised by our modern foods which include more chemicals, genetic modification and much higher levels of sugar than ever before.
Because of these issues, our Immune system (which is also largely situated in our GUT) then becomes weaker and more reactive to foods, chemicals and environmental triggers such as dust, grass, and pollens.
Some of the most common “allergens” or agents causing sensitivities that I see come across in the clinic are:-
- Casein (milk protein)
- Nuts (peanuts and tree nuts)
- Sulfur-based foods and preservatives
How do we pinpoint Allergies and Sensitivities?
I use several methods and it depends on each person, their age, and the severity of their symptoms…
1/ Kinesiology (muscle testing) is my first port of call and I find it extremely accurate in picking up not only allergies but even mild intolerances, especially in relation to foods
2/ Lab testing…..there are many different types of allergy and sensitivity testing which can be done through labs now and their technology and accuracy are of the highest standard. Again, exactly what we test for will depend on the individual and what’s happening with them at the time.
How do we treat Allergies and Sensitivities?
With Natural medicine, we have amazing tools for helping people deal with allergies and intolerances….
Firstly, once we’ve established what the issues are, we can start limiting or avoiding the “allergens” as much as possible.
Secondly, we can help the body become stronger so that it can deal better with the substance/s causing the problems. This can include supplements, herbs and lifestyle changes that support both the Small and Large Intestine, the Liver and GallBladder, as well the Immune System and the Nervous system (just to name a few).